So I moved to Central Oregon (remember the last page of my quaranzine?!).
It all happened really fast, our landlords gave us notice as they are planning on selling the house we were renting, there wasn't anything interesting to rent in the city, and we had been considering moving to a rural area for a while, so when the perfect tree house popped up on Craigslist, we jumped on the opportunity (though I was convinced it was a scam).
A couple of days later, we took a trip South to visit the house and meet the landlord (turned out he wasn't a scammer) and 3 weeks later we were moving to Central Oregon!
You know me, it didn't take me long to research everything Zero Waste related in the area, and though it will take forever for me to be able to visit any shops that is not my local grocery store, I thought I'd still put together a little Zero Waste Central Oregon guide, because Zero Waste is not dead, bringing reusables is safe and even though we might have taken a step back during the pandemic, Zero Waste is here to stay!
The Zero Waste Central Oregon Map, also available in full page.
Above is a map of businesses, organizations and markets in Central Oregon that support our zero waste lifestyle.
I've created various layers so that the map is not overcrowded.
You can show them by clicking on the arrow on the top left of the map and selecting the ones you're interested to see.
Then click on each of the locations to have more information about which products they sell in bulk, which items they accept for donation or what can be recycled there.
And you will find below Conscious by Chloé's Ultimate Zero Waste Guide to Central Oregon!
1. Join the Zero Waste Community!
Join the Zero Waste Bend (and Central Oregon) Community on Facebook.
Join the Zero Waste Sisters Community on Facebook.
2. Zero Waste Essentials made locally
- Meli Wraps (online, Bend) - Reusable Beeswax Food Wraps
- Ruffwear - (online, Bend) Performance dog gear
- Way of Being (online, Portland) - Low Waste Shop
- Simple Sundries (online, Portland) - Waste-Free Kitchen & Bath Products
- Marleys Monsters (online, Eugene) - Zero Waste Essentials
- Heather's Treasures (online, Portland)
- straight up eco (online, Portland) - Shampoo bars
- Saged Home (online, Portland) - Zero Waste Essentials
3. Buy in Bulk
Is this your first bulk shopping trip? Check out this Shopping in Bulk 101 Guide. And keep your eyes peeled for refillable beer bottles.
- Central Oregon Locavore
- The Pantry - Bulk Mercantile and Refillery
- The Vegetable Man Produce (CSA)
- Northwest Crossing Saturday Farmers Market (June-September)
- Bend Farmers Market (June-October)
- The Peoples Apothecary
- Chef's Store - Wholesale
- Cornucopia Natural Foods
- Jordan's Fruit Stand
- Ryan's Produce
- Schoolhouse Produce
- Central Oregon Fill your Pantry (every November)
- Oliver Lemon's
- The Stand (farm stand, May-October)
- Richard's Farmstand
- Sisters Farmers Market (May-October)
- Mahonia Gardens (CSA)
- Seed to Table (CSA)
- Suttle Tea - Bulk tea in recyclable Kraft canisters
- Candy Corral - Candy in bulk
4. Shop Second Hand/Donate
The most sustainable way to shop is to not shop, but if you really need something, second-hand is an earth-friendly option (according to the amazing Buyerarchy of Needs).
- Revival Vintage - Eclectic hand-curated vintage
- Found Natural Goods - Eco & Vintage Products
- Cowgirl Cash - Western Vintage Boutique
- Truffle Pig Trading Co - Clothing & Accessories + New & Consignment + Home & Gifts
- Iron Horse Second Hand - An eclectic blend of vintage, antique and modern items
- NW Trading Post
- Gathered Wares - Vintage home and clothing
- Humane Society Thrift Store
- Teen Challenge Bend Thrift Store
- REgroup Thrift Store
- City Thrift
- Redeux - Consignment
- Pomegranate Home & Garden - Flea finds
- Iron Horse Second Hand - Antiques
- Trivia Antiques
- Redmond Goodwill
- BrightSide Animal Center Thrift Store
- Farmers Cooperative Antiques
- Possibilities Thrift Store
- St. Vincent De Paul Thrift Store
- Lavender Thrift & Gift
- Rubenesque Consignment - Curvy & Chic Clothing
- Redmond Antique Mall
- Sisters Habitat For Humanity Thrift Store
- Cardiostart Resale Thrift Store
- Lonesome Water Books
- Sisters Habitat for Humanity ReStore
- Painted Lady Antiques
- Kalamazoo's Antique Mall
- Heritage USA
- Crazy Like a Fox Vintage
- Gypsy Junk
- Mt View Ranch Vintage
- Velvet & Rust - Antiques
5. Repair / Renovate
Make it last! I recently discovered my passion for darning socks, but sometimes, you need to let a professional do the work.
- The Sole Shop Of Bend
- Give Em' The Boot
- Bend Alterations - Garment alterations
- Wearing Denim - Denim repairs & alterations
- Gear Fix - Outdoor gear consignment, repair, and sales
- Rugged Thread - Outdoor Clothing and Gear Repair
- Central Oregon Sharpening - Knife Sharpening Service & blade sharpener
- Miss Sew-It-All - Sewing & alterations
- Resharp - Sharpening services at Sisters Ace Hardware
6. Recycling / Composting
Check out your local recycling (and composting) curbside services. Other items can be diverted from the landfill through the following organizations. Or you can also find a recycler or reuser, find a PaintCare drop-off location.
- Central Oregon Waste & Recycling Services
- Cascade Disposal
- Deschutes Recycling - Accepts recyclables and offers compost sales
- Sisters Recycle Center
- Sunriver Recycling Center
- Printer Resources & Recycling, LLC
- Schnitzer Steel - See buying list
- Triple Flare Recycling - Incident Waste Management + Enhanced Sanitation
- The Broomsmen - Recycling management for events + currently collecting clean and label free # 2, # 4 and # 5 plastic and PakTech rings from individuals
- Wonder Worman - Worms for composting
7. Sharing Economy
Sharing is caring. And do you really need to buy your own tablesaw? Check out these free sharing resources and never buy another item you'll only use once.
- COCC Barber Library
- Deschutes Public Library Foundation
- East Bend Library
- Redmond Library
- Sisters Library
- Sunriver Library
Buy Nothing Groups
Post anything you’d like to give away, lend, or share amongst neighbors. And ask for what you're wishing for.
- Mountain View/Rural East/Alfalfa, Bend, OR
- Orchard District/Boyd Acres/Rural North/Tumalo, Bend, OR
- Deschutes River Woods/Southwest Bend (South), OR
- Larkspur/Old Farm District, Bend (Southeast), OR
- West/Southern Crossing/Tetherow, Bend (Southwest), OR
- Summit & River West/Awbrey Butte/Old Bend/Rural West, Bend, OR
- Gifting with Gratitude -Sisters, Oregon and Surrounding Areas
- TruNorthwest Exchange - Camping gear rental, free delivery in Bend
- Go Green Box Bend - Reusable green moving boxes rental
8. Skill Learning
Learning how to do or make something is really empowering and those skills can then be passed along to friends or future generations!
- 9th Street Village - A collaborative and innovative community for movers, shakers and makers.
- DIY Cave - Creative makerspace with wood working, metal working, laser cutters, 3d printers and more.
- The Kindred Creative Kitchen - Cooking classes (kids & adults)
- The Workhouse - Art classes
- Studio Create - DIY Art Space
- The Art Station (kids)
- Central Oregon Community College
- Confluence Fly Shop - Fly Tying
Find more activities ideas here.
9. Chemical-Free Self Care
Self care is so important, but you want to make sure that it is as good for you as it is for the people who provide it and... the planet.
- aos Skincare - locally made organic skincare
- Wren and Wild - clean beauty products
- Anjou Spa - lifestyle & wellness spa
- Roam Natural Skincare - clean beauty products & spa
10. Vegan & Vegetarian Restaurants
Do I really need to tell you how hurtful mass animal exploitation is for the ecosystem?
Check out the map, there are so many great restaurants in town :)
- Root Down Kitchen - Small batch all vegan eatery
- Toasty - Vegan Food Cart
- A Broken Angel - Vegan food cart
- Salud Raw Food - Raw plant-based cafe and juice bar
- Fix & Repeat - Plant Based
- Laughing Planet - Vegetarian. Gluten-free. Low-carb. Paleo
- Active Culture - Health Food Cafe, Vegan + Vegetarian friendly
- Chow - Gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan alternatives
- Life & Time - Organic Based, From-Scratch, Drive-Thru Fast Food Restaurant
- Cafe Yumm! - Bowls Salads & Wraps
- Lively Up Yourself - Vegan Food Cart
- Kanona Cafe - Craft Coffee Clean Food, Plant based, GF, Vegan
- Just Cut - Organic Juice Bar
- Shred Town Food Truck - Gluten Free and Vegan options
- Croutons - Salads
11. Green Services
- Sakred Space - Green Cleaning
12. Green Lodging
13. Central Oregon Zero Waste Heroes
Because Central Oregon wouldn't be the green hub it is without these every day eco-warriors, I wanted to give them a shout-out!
- The Environmental Center - Regional hub of environmental education, engagement, and action
- Circular Economy Club Bend - Open to anyone who is interested in learning more about and helping to support the transition towards a circular economy.
- Sunriver Nature Center & Observatory - Inspire present and future generations to cherish and understand our natural world
- Seed to Table
- Veg Net Bend
- Oregon Natural Desert Association
- Oregon Wild
- Deschutes Land Trust
- Central Oregon Land Trust
- Juniper Group, Oregon Sierra Club
- Citizen's Climate Bend
- Central Oregon Trail Alliance - Mountain biking
- Coalition for the Deschutes - River restoration
- Commute Options of Central Oregon - Promoting safer, healthier, and more livable communities through smart transportation options
- Deschutes River Conservancy
- East Cascade Audubon Society - Ornithology
- Central Oregon Bitterbrush Broads - Wilderness
And volunteer in the many organizations and community stores mentioned above.
- Talking Trash with Peggy LaPoint - A Green Tips podcast diving into the world of sustainability by talking to people in business and non-profits, and folks knee-deep in the field of sustainability
And don't miss the Portland Zero Waste Guide.
I hope you'll find this guide useful. I'll try to keep it updated. Please share your suggestions in the comments below.